RE: VIRTUAL HOSTS

It is not required. If you don't do this, default requests (eg, with
just the IP address and no hostname like http://192.168.1.1/) will be
served by the "main" config.

However, it is *recommended* you put all sites in separate VHs just for
organisation reasons (it's like putting files into directories instead
of keeping all your files right at the top...).

> My second question is,
> i have three subdomains. domain1.myhost.com, domain2.myhost.com, and
> domain3.myhost.com.
> Only domain1.myhost.com is intended to serve as ssl
> and has been declared in the virtual host to use port 443.
>
> Now Whenever other subdomains are accessed by https://, apache
> serve the files directory from domain1.myhost.com even though these
> subdomains have not been declared to be used as ssl.

All sites have the same IP, right? SSL requests can only be
distinguished by TCP/IP (ie IP and port) - not by the domain name. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2

> How do I configure apache to serve only the files that are
> intended for
> use with ss (in this case domain1.myhost.com).

What do you want to happen if someone requests
https://domain2.myhost.com/ ?

> Has this something to do with the main server not bein moved
> to the virtual host block ?

No.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS- Pls stop adding your personal address to the Reply-to field - go via
the list....

> Thanks
> bashiro
>
> Bashiro

> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
> Make My Way  your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.