Re: Forbidden web pages

Hi Grant.

I'm a bit of a newbie myself, so please don't take this as gospel, but
I /think/ it may have something to do with the ServerName section...

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName new.host.name:80

I think you might get a result if you set this to the name you would
like to use from your web-browser, such as...

ServerName mrtg.ecsd.edu:80

...and then try hitting...

http://mrtg.ecsd.edu/mrtg

...ensuring there is an entry for the host mrtg in your network's DNS.

If the DNS thing is a problem, try adding this to the machine running
Apache's /etc/hosts file...

192.168.1.1        mrtg.ecsd.edu

...using the correct IP address of course.

Don't delete the localhost entry of course.

N.B. I could be completely wrong about all this, but you're not going
to bugger anything up by doing this. Although if you're not the
sysadmin he/she might think differently :-)