Apache serving non-existent files.

Hi there,

I have a situation where i have had apache serving a static html page which is requested by a load-balancer to check that the server is running. I then rename this file so that Apache can't serve it and thus the load-balancer receives a 404 and marks the server as down.

Now this works perfectly , however we have noticed that occasionally , as seen in the apache access logs that apache actually serves the requested file with a 200 status code which causes the load-balancer to start sending requests to the apache server when we don't want it to.
To the best of our knowledge nobody has renamed the file to make it appear existent and we don't use any form of caching on the apache servers. The apache server only needs to respond with a 200 status code twice in succession, but we can't work out why it is doing it when the file requested doesn't actually exist.

any thoughts or similiar experiences??

cheers guys

Steve