Re: Apache 2.2.4 does not start - no errors

On 1/16/07, Jain, Abhay K, INFOT <jainabhay@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We had tried running with trace and last statement seem
to be fork(). There was a pid associated with fork().
Then next statement was exit(0).

When tracing a program you have to make sure it traces child processes
too, otherwise you will see what happens after the fork. Which option
you need to give to trace on your OS I don't know, so consult the man
page.

On Solaris I use "truss -f" when tracing problems. The -f option tells
truss to follow children too.

One possible reason for your problem (I've seen this before) might be
the user and group directives in your httpd.conf. The default values
apache ships with (-1) is not suitable on some variants of Unix. Edit
your httpd.conf and make set the user and group to a real existing
user and group on your system. (nobody:nobody if exists will do fine,
but I usually create a apache user and www group).

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland