Re: Getting Started

The following is from the Apache install instructions. It must
therefore be possible to get Apache to listen to port 8080. I did the
set up as indicated.

Brian

For whom to install Apache Select for All Users, on Port 80, as a
Service - Recommended if you'd like your new Apache to listen at port
80 for incoming traffic. It will run as a service (that is, Apache
will run even if no one is logged in on the server at the moment)
Select only for the Current User, on Port 8080, when started Manually
if you'd like to install Apache for your personal experimenting or if
you already have another WWW server running on port 80.

On 1/16/07, Evan Platt <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 12:39 PM 1/16/2007, you wrote:

>I am learning to use Macromedia to create webpages and using ColdFusion as a
>server. In a book it is recommended that Apache be used (instead of PWS
>which my OS does not support or IIS which only comes free with XP
>professional!
>
>I have downloaded and tried to set up Apache but when I try
>http://localhost/ it is not found. I have to ass the 8080 to the address
>line to get the message 'It Works'

Sounds like you have in your httpd.conf to use port 8080.

>How can I configure Apache so that it automatically goes to the 8080
>address. It is not my intention, at this time, to use Apache as a server
>online - it is only going to be a local server (on a single computer)

You can't. That's not possible.

Incoming HTTP requests, by default, come on port 80. So nothing on
your computer is listening on port 80. So - nothing can tell that
request to go to apache.

Either manually type localhost:8080, or have Apache listen on port 80.

>Question two - when I hit the menu item 'Edit the Apache httpd configuration
>file I get a windows error message that windows cannot open this file. How
>does one overcome this? BTW I loaded Apache on Drive E

Permissions perhaps?

Brian J Smith
CARO Trial Approver