Re: 2.2.3 -> 2.2.4 upgrade problem | APR?

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Evan Cooch wrote:

Now, for the big question - what is this new argument doing, why do I need it, and what really has changed between 2.23 and 2.24?

The change actually happened between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3, in Subversion revision 424693:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/configure.in? r1=410054&r2=424693

Essentially, we became a little more sophisticated about which copy of APR and APR-Util we use for the build. Previously, httpd had the sometimes unfortunate habit of picking up installed copies of these libraries and doing stuff in not quite the way you might want. Now, you can force use of the bundled copies with the --with-included-apr parameter (one parameter forces both APR and APR-Util, since you can't mix versions). If you want to specifically use an installed copy of the libraries, you can use

--with-apr=/path/to/apr/bin/apr-1-config --with-apr-util=/path/to/apr- util/bin/apu-1-config

on the configure line. Alternatively, you can throw it into the wind completely and have the build process perhaps maybe pick up an installed APR, APR-Util or use the bundled copy depending on stuff like what your PATH is when you build. It looks like your build arrived at some non-functional mixture, and forcing the bundled copies fixed that.

It looks like you had the bin directory of your old Apache install on your PATH, and configure proposed to use the old APR version for your new build because it found apr-1-config. Not what you wanted. (:

If you speak m4 and Autoconf better than I do (wouldn't be hard) and want to make this more smart so the build process gracefully rejects non-workable combinations, feel free but you'd probably best work on the httpd development trunk since patches are generally introduced there and then backported to 2.2.x.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/