Re: How to resolve this .htaccess conflict ?

I don't know the answer, but suspect you could experiment and find out
faster than hearing back from somebody who DOES know the answer...

Though whether that's a Documented Feature or not would be a Good
Question, maybe...

On Fri, January 12, 2007 1:33 pm, Ben Stover wrote:
> Assume there is the .htaccess file show at the bottom of this posting.
>
> At first every read and write access is denied and no permissions are
> given
> because no "allow" statement is entered.
>
> Fine. But now I want to allow some users to access these directories
> but only with authentication (login+password).
>
> For these users I setup the three lines AuthName, AuthUserFile and
> AuthGroupFile.
> Notice that I mix a "deny" access instruction not with its counterpart
> "allow" but
> with completely different "Auth..." statements plus OUTSIDE the
> "Limit" scope !
>
> Are these Auth statements recognized at all or does the missing
> "allow" statement above prevent any further permissions ?
> In other words: Do the Auth statements have a higher priority
> than the non-existence of an allow statement ?
>
> If Auth statements are not considered: Does it change anything if I
> put these Auth statements
> BEFORE the "deny" command (on top of the .htaccess file) ?
>
> .htaccess file:
> ---
> <Limit GET POST>
> order deny,allow
> deny from all
> </Limit>
> <Limit PUT DELETE>
> order deny,allow
> deny from all
> </Limit>
> AuthName Authenticated users
> AuthUserFile /home/myhtaccess/service.pwd
> AuthGroupFile /home/myhtaccess/service.grp
> ---

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?