Can apache 2.0.52 impact a Subversion lock-file command?

I am using Subversion and accessing it through Apache (http protocol).
Both Subversion and Apache are running
on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux server.  TortoiseSVN is the Subversion
client running on Windows XP.

We have the following revisions:
RHEL 4WS
Httpd 2.0.52
Subversion 1.3.2
TortoiseSVN 1.3.5

Problem: I am able to read and write to the project in the repository.
However, executing a file-lock command returns
"Error: Lock request failed: 405 Method Not Allowed (http://mydomain)".

My understanding is that failure to lock a file archived in a source
code control repository such as
Subversion is not the same as the LockFile apache maintains as specified
in the LockFile directive.
Therefore I don't believe this is related to Apache's ability to access
its own LockFile.

The permissions on the server's /home/svn/<repos>/locks directory are
the same as other repository
directories (conf/, hooks/, etc) which work, so I wouldn't expect this
to be a permissions problem.

In a search of the web and list archives, I find two reasons why the
lock command might not work:
-	the feature is not supported by the version of apache
-	the feature was not available prior to Subversion 1.2.1

I have a more recent version of Subversion, so I don't believe that to
be a cause of the problem.
Also, I find little in the Apache FAQ regarding file locking in general,
let alone file lock problems since this apache release.

I get the same error using both TSVN and (as a sanity check) svn.exe.
So I don't think it's a configuration problem
specific to the TortoiseSVN client.

Any ideas where else I might look? Any ideas on whether Apache really
has an impact on Subversion's file-lock
command?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,