Re: Reverse Proxy problem

On 1/11/07, Taranjeet Singh Bagga <ts.bagga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I am using reverse proxy in apache server.
I am running an application 'tst' on the machine 10.5.100.15 accessed by the
URL
http://10.5.100.15:9080/tst

My apache server is installed at another machine 10.5.100.20 on port 80.
In httpd.conf I have written the following lines.

ProxyPass /abc http://10.5.100.15:9080/tst
ProxyPassReverse /abc http://10.5.100.15:9080/tst

Now, the problem is that when I access the URL http://10.5.100.20/abc
it gives me, page not found error.
The address which is displayed in the bar is
 http://10.5.100.20/tst/disServlet?uAction=initial

which actually should be
http://10.5.100.20/abc/disServlet?uAction=initial

It might have something to do with your application. For example the
following might be happening.

- Your request http://10.5.100.20/abc
- That request gets passed to http://10.5.100.15:9080/tst
- the application responds with a website, which contains something (a
refresh statement, or a piece of javascript) that tells the browser to
request another page, in this case: /tst/disServlet?uAction=initial
- this request obviously fails...

What you have to remember is that Apache does not do anything to the
content of a response when proxying. So usually you have to tell web
applications that are accessed through a revers proxy that rewrites
URLs under what URL they are visible to the end user. So maybe you
need to change the base URL as configured in your web app.

I would susgest to get the "LiveHTTPHeaders" plugin for Firefox. This
is really a great tool to debug such situtions, as you can see how
many requests your browser actually makes to the server. Also good to
have is a command line tool to get webpages, like curl or wget. Do a
"wget http://10.5.100.20/abc"; and have a look at what you get.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx