RE: RE: What are URLs relative to?

It's a long time since I actually used an ErrorDocument directive but as
far as I am aware, apache issues a *redirect* to the error page in
response to the request for the missing URL. So the browser address
changes to the error-doc URL and then it's just as if you requested the
error-doc directly. In that case, the links in the error-doc could be
relative and the quotation would be inaccurate...

However, maybe I'm wrong - maybe apache *proxies* the error-doc... then
the browser address would not change and the relative links wouldn't
work.

Why don't you set up the experiment and report back the results - I'd be
interested to know...

Having said all that, it is always a good idea to use absolute URLs in
links because it makes the page more portable - you can move it up and
down the directory hierarchy without having to worry about changing all
the links. So I would do that anyway and then the rights and wrongs of
the original question become irrelevant.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle