Forcing logging to the access log

I'm getting "child pid 32719 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)" in our error_log but whatever is causing it, it is not generating corresponding entries in the access_log.
I suspect that the child pid is failing to update the access_log because of the segmentation fault.

Is there some way to force the update of the access_log to be committed before the process starts handling the request?

I've only just found these errors in our error_log and they've been happening for as log as we have error_logs. No one has complained about truncated pages, or pages in error though.

I got a group of four of them in the space of one second, so my theory is that the faults occur loading images associated with one page. I can't think of anything else that would cause such a cluster of errors; the server takes about one hit per minute, on average.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk