(Problem) Apache Connection Rate Measurement on Intel Servers

Problem in brief: I am unable to increase HTTP/SSL connection rate, while my Apache server platform shows a huge (98%) CPU slack.

----------------

I benchmark the performance of several Linux/Open Source applications on Intel Architecture (IA32/x86) servers. In this context, I am trying to measure the peak HTTP connection rate sustained when SSL is enabled in Apache. A ‘connection’ in this benchmark consists of:

TCP Connect

      HTTP Connect

            GET_SSL(a small file with a few bytes)

      HTTP Disconnect

TCP Disconnect

My test server side test setup consists of:

(1) Intel 5300 Xeon (quad core) 2.67GHz, dual socket platform (with Intel 5000P chipset) – i.e., an 8 way SMP platform

(2) Linux 2.6.13 (CentOS 4.1)

(3) Apache 2.0.52

(4) OpenSSL 0.9.7e

(5) Intel 82571 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet NIC

My client side test set up consists of:

IxIA L4-L7 network traffic generator that is capable of generating upto ***-220 connections/sec-*** and emulate several thousand simultaneous HTTP/SSL clients. (Aptixia XM12 test chassis with IxIA Application Logic Module test card).

The IxIA test module, when tested against Windows 2000/IIS has measured up to ***-220 HTTPS connections per second-*** on a 2.8GHz single CPU/single core Xeon platform.

PROBLEM: When I test my Linux/Apache server for the same HTTPS connection rate, my IxIA tester measures ***-at most 10 connections/sec-***, while my server shows at least a 98% CPU slack (as measured using Linux TOP utility). I have played with various TCP connection/persistence/buffer options, but with no improvement what so ever.

Also, when I run the same test without SSL, I get a huge connection rate of ***-40000 HTTP connections/sec-***. This leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere with the modSSL module & not Apache itself, ...but I am totally clueless after probing OpenSSL stack for several weeks. Some basic Ethereal analysis shows that the server is issuing a TCP RESET for nearly almost all connection requests from the IxIA (virtual) clients.

NOTE: The client side test configuration & load is identical for both Windows 2000/IIS and Linux/Apache.

I would greatly appreciate any known insights into this issue.

-          Hari

Hari Tadepalli

Sr Staff Performance Engineer

Intel Corporation