Re: Installing Apache as a service

On Jan 3, 2007, at 10:49 AM, servandomontero wrote:

I'm a novice and im trying to install Apache 2.2 on my Windowx XP (SP2) machine. I've installed Apache using the install option "only for the Current User, on Port 8080, when started Manually" because i am running apache a as testing dev platform and dont want to listen to port 80 all the time (i dont know if this the right installation option)

That sounds like a fine installation mode for your intended use. Just remember to test using http://localhost:8080/...

Im reading the manual, and it says that i need to install Apache as a NT service (because i've specify to install it to my self only) from the command prompt at the Apache bin subdirectory using this command : httpd -k install
I've tried it and i have this message from the command prompt console:
'http' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or bach file

For testing and development, you don't need to install a Service. If you want to have the web server running while you are not logged in, you would need to install the Service.

As others have remarked, you'll need to find and call the httpd.exe program in its install directory. This directory is not automatically added to %PATH%. You can start the server, with its configuration file in conf/httpd.conf under your install directory, content in htdocs, etc. by running httpd.exe either from a command prompt, or by navigating to the bin directory and double-clicking the httpd.exe file. No service install needed.

If you do want to install the service, for production or convenience, follow the installation directions (httpd -k install -n Apache22 if I recall correctly) but do remember that httpd.exe is not in your PATH.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/