RE: Caching Authenticated content with mod_cache

Slive
> Sent: 20. desember 2006 15:58
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  Caching Authenticated content with
mod_cache

> On 12/20/06, Roland Rabben <roland.rabben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have set up Apache HTTP Server 2.2.3 with mod_proxy, mod_proxy_ajp
and
> > mod_cache as a reverse proxy in front of a Tomcat 5.5 server. The
> > solution works fine except that I am having trouble getting Apache
> > cache content from a directory that is protected using Basic
> > Authentication.
> >
> > Both servers are running on Windows XP.
> >
> > From the Apache documentation I have read that Apache won't cache
> > Authenticated content:
> >
> > "If the request contains an "Authorization:" header, the response
will
> > not be cached."
> >
> > Is there any way to force Apache HTTP Server to cache responses from
> > Tomcat protected with Basic Authentication?
>
> I believe you'd need to change the source code, although the required
> change would likely be very minor.
>
> But my question is: exactly why do you want to do this?  Do you
> realize that by caching authenticated content, you essentially remove
> the authentication?

My goal was to use the "Cache-Control: public, no-cache" header. From
what I understand that should make a cache-server cache the response,
but still require authentication from the origin server before the cache
releases its local representation to the next user/request.

Roland