external javascript and cgi generated page

I generated a page with C. All executed fine as far as serving up the correct markup. CSS and external ecmascript, though, ignored. Made both links to those absolute to the document root, that is, I moved the .js and .css files out of the cgi-bin folder and into the htdocs folder and in the <script> element had the source be ipaddress/x.css and ipaddress/x.js. This solved the css problem. The .js functions not being found by the browser still. "Undefined" warning in debugger. When I view the source of cgi output and save that as a static document, it works perfectly. Please enlighten.

< emjay! >