Re: Mod re-write help

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Norman Khine <norman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know how to turn this URI
>>
>> http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/c51/c57?b_start=15
>>
>> into something like
>>
>> http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/africa/eastern-africa.html
>>
>> I am already using one rewrite into Zope, so I am not sure how to
>> proceed.
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>   ServerName destinationsguide.info
>>   ServerAlias www.destinationsguide.info
>>   RewriteEngine On
>>   #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.destinationsguide\.info [nc]
>>   #RewriteRule (.*) http://destinationsguide.info [R=301,C]
>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)
>> http://destinationsguide.info:15080/VirtualHostBase/http/destinationsguide.info:80/destinations/VirtualHostRoot/$1
>>
>> [L,P]
>
> The problem is a little under-specified.  What do you mean by "turn
> into"?  Do you expect people to use the "pretty" url, and then you
> will internally send them to Zope using the less-pretty one?  Or do
> you want to externally redirect between them so that people enter the
> less-pretty url and then their browser location bar changes?
>
> In addition, it is unclear how you expect the mapping between the two
> urls to work in general.  Do you have a list that maps one form to the
> other?
>
> Joshua.

Hi Joshua,

I wanted to make the URL's google /index engine search friendly -
whether this is possible, I am not sure ;(

My idea was to use the Page header and use this as the mapping, but I
can see the problem now...

Forget I asked...

By the way,  how do I make this to work

  #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.destinationsguide\.info [nc]
  #RewriteRule (.*) http://destinationsguide.info [R=301,C]

When I uncomment the code the second RewriteRule is not taken into account

Cheers

Norman

--
Norman Khine