Re: loadbalancing with Apache - Sticky Sessions

On Thu, December 14, 2006 10:16 am, Richard de Vries wrote:
> I'm experiencing some problems with our loadbalancer
> infrastructure over our Apache webservers and I've
> been asked to set some sort of Session ID either in
> the environment variables, or as part of the URL.
>
> Something the loadbalancers can use to determine
> session information.
>
> I was thinking of mod_rewrite perhaps but I have not
> been able to find any good information on generating
> session IDs etc.
>
> Does anyone have any good recommendations /
> suggestions?

If you happen to be running PHP, and you happen to be able to
integrate this well, there are settings in php.ini called
"use_trans_sid" which tell PHP to put its session id into the URL.

PHP will automatically cram the session id into every link, every
form, every src= and so on, if you turn that on.

You may also want to look at the notes from this talk:
http://jasonrexilius.com/GloballyDistributedWebCluster.php
in which Jason Rexilius describes a method of storing the session data
itself in the cookie in section 5)

I think he's got a more article-oriented version online somewhere, but
it didn't turn up in my quick Google.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?