Re: What version of apache from httpd.conf ?

I'm in a similar situation.

If you have httpd on your os X box still, you should be able to run httpd -v and it will tell you the version.

I've been poking around on this for a few days, and the best thing I can figure is that:
a) if (old) Apache 2.0.52 is adequate for you, Server Logistics has .DMGs of PHP, MySQL, and Apache available, and includes handy preference panes for System Preferences

b) compiling apache on osx is SIMPLE! But NOT simple to get it working - see next point
(Some great information here: http://switch.richard5.net/isp-in-a-box-v2/installing-apache-on-mac-os-x/)

c) getting all of the modules to work is NOT simple.  The link above will help with getting a bunch of modules compiled properly, but I ran out of gas last night when I could not figure out how to get a php module working.  I *think* I'll need to
i) get the source for the php module from someone other than the apache project,
ii) find out the name that does not match the filename, and
iii) configure/compile it, probably adding it to the big honkin' string of configure options listed in link b.

At this point, I'm frustrated because my 2.0.52 on Tiger 10.4.8
1) Drops session, meaning I have to keep re-logging in to roundcube webmail
2) Does not like to serve large pages via ssl, and
3) occasionally runs away (2 httpd processes each using about 40% or more CPU)

I can't figure out how to get the modules built with the server - is this clearly documented somewhere that I'm missing?

Regards,
Tom