wrong content-type for favicon.ico

I have a 2.2.3 compiled by hand in a Debian. The main conf is untouched except for an Include at the end and a LoadModule flvx_module modules/mod_flvx.so. The include at the end loads a config file for a very simple vhost, who has nothing particular about mime types.

The thing is, favicon.ico is being served with Content-Type text/ plain (testing with wget -d to avoid cache issues), error_log shows nothing relevant, the server is running just fine. Of course conf/ mime.types has the ico entry, and I even added an explicit AddType + restart.

I am sure I am overlooking something simple, but can't figure out what may be happening. Any ideas?

-- fxn