Re: determine cache or no cache of dynamic content

Joshua Slive wrote:
On 12/9/06, allan juul <allan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

But you are better off simply sending reasonable Cache-Control and
expires headers from your back-end.  That will make your cache work,
and will also help other caches along the way.  If you really can't do
that (because you want the apache cache using different settings than
the foreign caches), just don't send the expires at all from the
back-end, use CacheIgnoreNoLastMod, CacheDefaultExpire, and then use
mod_expires to set a new Expires/Cache-Control at the proxy.

Joshua.

thanks,

i'm not 100% sure we can actually fo that. we are able (at apache level) to unset or set the Expires header to a hardcoded value. if we are unable to set the Expires header at the backend (i'm currently not aure of this) are you saying that mod_expires can actuallt overwrite it. if so i can't figure out the syntax of this. At least these are not enough

    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"

taking it a bit further, is it possible to calculate and set an Expires header and then use the *mod_headers* module. for example this hardcoded directive would overwrite the backend's Expires header in our case, but is not very useful/scalable:

    Header set Expires "Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:54:46 GMT"

./allan