Re: Is there a way to limit a site's simultaneous access?

Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> No.  Run multiple instances of httpd against different IP addresses.
>>
>> There's no way to decide about accepting per-named-host.
>
> There are some third party modules that can do it.
> I only wrote for apache 2, but there is equivalents in apache 1.

Let me clarify - it's possible through a third party or write-your-own
module to decide if a given host should be processed or rejected with
a 5XX error.

But it's not possible to control which of many pending connections the
server will accept() next by name, because the name is one of the http
header fields that can only be parsed once the connection -is- accepted.

By IP address and/or multiple instances, it's possible to throttle the
number of pending and accepted connections, because it's not dependent
on inspecting the http headers.