Re: Server Staus information by other means

On 12/3/06, Nikolai Lusan <nikolai.lusan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I am after is something that will give me the information from
mod_status, but without using a port 80 connection (obviously the thing
is at MaxClients and not taking connections to the server). I basically
need a full list of the requests that are being processed when this
happens and the vhosts they are being processed within (so I can track
down the actual problem).

I don't know any direct way to solve this.  There has been some
discussion in the past on the dev list about out-of-band emergency
communication with the server.  But I don't think it was ever
resolved.

Some ideas:
1. Use one of the connection limiting modules from
http://modules.apache.org/ or your firewall to limit the connections
on port 80 to a little below MaxClients, then open a virtual host on a
high port accessible only locally to use to get sever-status.

2. Instead of getting the information live, use log files to do a
postmortem on what went wrong.  Almost all of the information in
mod_status can also be written to the logs if you configure them
properly.  So you'll just need to extract a listing of requests that
were being served at the time of the freeze-up.  And if you find that
the server never comes back alive (so the logs don't get written), you
can use mod_log_forensic to track the requests that were in play at
the time of the crash.

[By the way, very nicely written question.  I appreciate the list of
ideas you have tried and rejected.  It shows you have done some work
yourself, and it makes it easier for us to know what level you are
at.]

Joshua.