mod_rewrite: remembering environment variables

The mod_rewrite doc mentions that the E=VAR:VAL flag "[can be used] to strip but remember information from URLs".

What exactly does that mean?

I need to "remember" the values of certain EV's after a rewrite process has completed. It would be particluarly useful to me know what the original HTTP_HOST was as requests come through for content referenced by relative paths on the original host but the HTTP_HOST has already been rewritten.

Could I use SetEnv to create an EV called ORIGINAL_HOST and then set it to the value of HTTP_HOST prior to rewrites so that I can reference it during subsequent rewrites?

What would be the best method for accomplishing this? Or am I totally off the mark regarding what SetEnv and E=VAR:VAL do?

Any and all help, suggestions, appreciated.