Re: apache client authentication problem (somewhat long)

Serge Dubrouski wrote:
Your client submits certificate signed by CA which certificate you
don't have in your SSLCACertificatePath. Actually it looks like you
incorrectly configured it. You have:

SSLCACertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/root.crt
SSLCACertificatePath /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt

You should use just one of those options. If you use
SSLCACertificateFile your file (stacked pem) should have certificates
for all CA that issue certificates for you clients. If you use
SSLCACertificatePath place all certs into that directory and create
links like it's described here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/stronghold/Stronghold-4.0-Manual/SH4_HTML/authenc.html

OK, I've read that. I may be stuck on this line:

1: # Make sure the new CA certificate is in PEM format.

The CA's I obtained from a very user-hostile web site. It listed each CA separately (like CA-12, CA-13, etc.), and allowed me to view the certificates, or download them. If you download them, I am given .cer files. If you view them, I am given a lot of text in between a -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and an -----END CERTIFICATE-----, as well as the certificate contents in readable form. I don't know what .cer files are, except googling indicates they may be something that Microsoft uses, as MS has a utility that reads them, and will install the certificate. I copied each text certificate and concatenated them into a single root.crt file.

This link:

http://ospkibook.sourceforge.net/docs/OSPKI-2.4.6/OSPKI/sample-ca-cert.htm

seems to indicate that what I did was correct.

Also, removing the SSLCACertificatePath line in ssl.conf does not help.

I have an emailed copy of another servers root.crt file, from a site that has this working, and I STILL get these errors. I had copied his ssl.conf as well. He used both lines given above.

Thanks for responding.

Any other ideas?