Re: Help with mod_proxy

Todd Nine schrieb:
> No you misunderstood my post.  I'm not an idiot, I understand the point of
> proxying,  if the target server is down I won't be able to connect.
Sorry I didn't meant to be rude...

  Here's
> a more clear example.  I'm proxying 2 http servers, server A and server B.
> If server B is not running when the proxy starts, I can't connect to server
> A.  I receive this message in the browser
Eather my english is quite broken or this is quite different from your
first explanation.

Nitpicking aside, I tried to reproduce your error, but it's working fine
here:

VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName proxytest.test.home
	ServerAdmin admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	DocumentRoot "/var/www/localhost/htdocs"
	Header set Server "apache on gentoo."

	<IfDefine PROXY>
		ProxyPass / http://oh_look.no.such.host/
		ProxyPassReverse / http://oh_look.no.such.host/
	</IfDefine>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName projects.test.home
	ServerAdmin admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	DocumentRoot "/var/www/localhost/htdocs"
	Header set Server "apache on gentoo."

	<IfDefine PROXY>
		ProxyPass / http://localhost:8000/
		ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8000/
	</IfDefine>
</VirtualHost>

Now http://projects.test.home shows my trac projects and
proxytest.test.home gives 502 proxy error:

Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /.

Reason: DNS lookup failure for: oh_look.no.such.host
Apache Server at proxytest.test.home Port 80