Re: mod_headers

On 11/23/06, Dan Nelson <dan.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 09:18 -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:

> But what you don't want is an HTTP server.

True, although http would be suitable if I could reduce the unecessary
bandwidth from the headers.

But the headers are an inherent part of HTTP (>.9).  So that is like
saying "I wouldn't mind using a car if I could reduce the unnecessary
weight that comes from having wheels."

>   Luckily, the 2.x version
> has been designed to support multiple protocols.  See mod_echo (or
> mod_pop3 or mod_ftpd) for an example of how to substitute another
> protocol module for the http protocol module.

Does that mean I'm stuck writing my own protocol module then?
Basically, I want to send a small amount of data from a client, and get
a simple ack back.  Http would work fine for that.

You can, to some degree, reduce the number and size of headers sent in
an HTTP response.  (For Server in particular, you've already had some
suggestions.)  But you can't eliminate them all.  If you want that,
you need another protocol (of which HTTP/0.9 is a possibility -- but
I'm not sure how well it is even supported in recent apache versions).

I'd ask yourself two questions:
1. Is the extra bandwidth from a few HTTP headers really going to kill
your application?
2. If so, is HTTP really the protocol you want?

Joshua.