ProxyPass min= value seems to not work

I'm attempting to do something possibly a little nutty to try and solve (or a least minimize) a latency problem we have with some international customers. I would like to create a reverse proxy configuration that users can use on site. Basically I want to push things such as SSL negotiation to local fast computers and maintain long running open connections to our servers from the proxy.

However, ProxyPass min= setting doesn't seem to keep open connections to the backend, at least with the following configuration. Any ideas?

(the following is located in my ssl.conf, so I connect to the https:// <servername>/slm to proxy to in this case https://test1.f4tech.com/slm)

Thanks,
Tarun

SSLProxyEngine on