Re: [users@httpd] Question about mod_charset_light and mod_proxy_html

Nick Kew wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:49:25 -0500
mickg <mickg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2 questions:
I think I'd have to play with that hands-on to figure it out
with your attempted configuration.
Was that an offer :) If yes, please say so, and shell account will be
provided. (As the system is a VM, I will just clone it, and give
access to that, so, if you mess it up, no problem).

Well it could be, if you have the budget for my time.
That's your most expensive option.

Understood :)
It might be worth trying
mod_line_edit instead of mod_proxy_html.  You sacrifice the
markup support, but in your case the markup isn't properly
supported anyway, and you probably benefit from the fact that
it is also unaware of charsets.

Hmm. Did not know about that module. Any idea where I can get
the .so ?

Same place you get the mod_proxy_html.so.  Except I guess you
got that from a third-party package.  I supply binaries and
basic support to registered users.

Or an ubuntu package?

Or how to compile the source, given a development environment?

Read the apache docs on apxs.  You'll probably need an apache-dev
package on ubuntu.  It's simpler than mod_proxy_html, because it
doesn't rely on additional libraries.

Understood, will do. Thank you!
I should add that today's correspondence has prompted me to blog
about mod_proxy_html 3.0, which will enable you to fix that
charset problem by aliasing an unsupported charset to a similar
supported one (windows cyrillic is probably similar enough to
ISO cyrillic - aka ISO-8859-5 - for that to work).  I'm inviting
blog comments from anyone with great ideas for the next major
release of mod_proxy_html.

Actually, I think the characters are different in the upper register.

What about letting mod_proxy do it's own transcoding, via iconv or
some such?
Maybe even a filter-architecture of it's own?
As in, given a match, apply this filter to it?
Although, that may be overkill for a simple matcher.

mickg