Re: [users@httpd] Any problems deleting all "_default_" VirtualHosts?

> > Also, when we tried that (deleting the "_default_" sections), I *think* (but am not sure) that we may have been seeing some behavior where Apache would "slow down", i.e., serve content very slowly.
>
> No.  It should make no difference in speed.

Joshua,

Thanks for the response(s).  Re. the comments above, my understanding of the way the Apache works is that when it receives an incoming request, it searches through the <VirtualHost>s that have been defined, for a match, and I was thinking that if the _default_ sections were deleted, maybe there may have been some anomalous behavior when Apache couldn't find a match and the _default_ sections weren't present.

As mentioned above, we tried a test where we deleted all of the_default_ VirtualHost sections.  Perhaps we messed things up when we did our test, but we think we noticed that system responsiveness (to the end user) slowed down.

I think, but am not sure, that from some diagnostics we did at that time, it also looked like Apache was processing requests for IP address "0.0.0.0", which kind of puzzled me.

FYI, this was with Apache 2.0.55 on Solaris SPARC.  That testing was done awhile ago, and I'll have to see if I can reproduce it now.

Thanks again,
Jim