I have an existing website running Apache 1.3.34 that is integrated with PERL via mod_perl. (the site is checkinsooner.com). I want to take the next step with this site and open up usernames and passwords so that people can look at data pertinent to thier visits on the site. I am not sure how to implement this. What is the best way to add an authenticated user piece to a site, not quite a a shopping cart application  but more like a registered user application? I am looking for standard stuff - allow people to sign up for accounts, send out automated emails with account information, confirm receiept of that email,  when logged in look at information relevant to thier account, etc. I am just not sure how to build this kind of service into an existing apache website. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Neville Aga
neville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx