[users@httpd] Looking for some ideas on how to stop someone view an html page directly using Server Side Includes

I need some ideas on how to solve this problem. I am thinking there has to be a way...

I have a web server with thousands of users(each with their own sub-directories)

In each of these sub directories is a file called main.html
(btw  these are the only htmls the rest of the site is jsp and perl, i do not have to rename them to shtml)

What i am trying to figure out how to do is restrict them from doing http://www.domain.com/user/main.html

the correct way is to do http://www.domain.com/user which calls index that has frames and so on.

So i was thinking maybe i could use SSI. I have been reading the doc, but it looks pretty limited

Can SSI look for a cookie or something and then if not present do something else?

So i thought i would approach this group and see if anyone had any brilliant ideas.

Thanks
Randy