[users@httpd] Encodings, languages and filenames

Hello!

I apologise if this is an FAQ but I've tried finding an answer to this question with the usual suspects (google, FAQs, mailing list archives) but no such luck [granted, I may have unknowingly already stumbled across the answer...].

I am having trouble with getting filenames to reproduce correctly when uploading and later downloading from an Apache 2.0.55  (set with UTF-8 as default) server on a Linux SLES 9 server.  I am using a simple PHP script to upload the files, and generate an index.html page with a link to the uploaded file.

This works fine as long as i stick to 7-bit ascii character filenames. As soon as i start using charcters outside of that range I'm in trouble. I'm currently testing swedish and chinese characters. The upload works OK. I can see the files in the filesystem (represented correctly). Also, the filename in the index.html file is correctly reproduced. However once I point my browser to the index.html file my problem appears. If I simply click on the link to the file (a jpg/png/bmp/gif file) it is downloaded to my client but with a garbled name (I'm assuming the byte-code representation of the UTF-8 characters). If I right click and choose "save link as" / "save target as" then the filename is represented correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening and how to resolve it?

TIA,
Johan