Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 CentOS memory leak issue

On 10/2/06, Devraj Mukherjee <devraj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a box running CentOS 4.4 as an httpd server. I am running
version 2.0.52 of Apache as ditributed by CentOS. It seems to me that
httpd is eating up all the memory and thus my machiens eventually runs
out of memory and comes to a stand still.

Is this true? Has anyone had similar experiences? Here are some kernel
log messages

I'm not sure what those log messages are supposed to prove, other than
that your box doesn't have enough memory for the job at hand.

There are lots of things that could be going on:
1. Something entirely separate from apache is using memory.

2. Apache is serving many simultaneous clients, and the shear number
of children is eating up all your memory.  In this case, you should
reduce MaxClients in httpd.conf.

3. There is a memory leak in apache or one of its modules, causing
individual processes to balloon in size.

You can differentiate between 2 and 3 easily using tools like top/ps
and the apache server-status display.  If you find that 3 is true,
then you need to figure out where the memory leak is coming from by
trying to isolate what kinds of requests cause the size to balloon.
Again top/ps and server-status can be useful, and you can also add the
PID to the access log file to help track requests.

But if I were you, the first thing I would do is get a version of
apache that is a little more modern.  2.0.52 was released 2 years ago.
There have been many bug fixes and improvements since then.

Joshua.