Re: [users@httpd] Previewing a Virtual Host before server name is available in DNS

On 9/27/06, Richard de Vries <richard_devries@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know my hosting provider puts the document root for
the virtual host in the document root of the main
host. So I can look at it via
http://mainhost.domain.com/<docroot-of-subhost>.

Personally I don't like this at all.

You could also create a /etc/host file entry on the
server running your virtual host, configure an Apache
proxy server on that host (different port) and
configure that proxy to forward all the requests to
your new virtual host, at which time it will utilize
the alias in your /etc/hosts file.

It's easier than that.  Simply configure your browser to use the test
server as its proxy server.  Then whatever request you make, it will
be directed through the test server, and the test server will try to
match it with each of the name-based virtual hosts.

Joshua.