Re: [users@httpd] running a virtual server under a different user

Thanks Joshua

I read the docs on the proxy directive and I am a little confused.

Is it actually possible to have
myhost.mydomain.com:80 (nobody/nogroup) running on one instance

and then somehow have
myhost.mydomain.com:80/svn (svn/svngroup) running on another instance?

This would be the ideal situation, but I think there will be a port conflict.

Should I just have the second instance configured as

svn.mydomain.com:3690

instead? (3690 is the port for svn, but since I am not using inetd or
the daemon, I might as well use it here)

Thanks

Chris

On 9/27/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/27/06, Chris Cheshire <cheshirator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any way to do this? I looked through the configuration and
> can't find anything. suexec isn't installed, and doesn't appear to be
> the right option as Subversion runs through the DAV module, not SSI or
> CGI.
>
> Or do I need to create a separate config, have it listen on a
> different port with a different user/group at bootup start another
> instance of httpd using the new config file?

Yes, you need to use a separate instance of httpd to run under a
separate userid.  If necessary, you can use ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse
to bring the separate instance into the same namespace as the main
server.

Joshua.