[users@httpd] Location of rewrite rules when using mod_proxy in 2.2

I am about to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2.

Our current configuration is pretty simple. We have a couple of virtual hosts and are using mod_jk to talk to 3 applications in Tomcat. The mod_jk rules are not in a VirtualHost but are in the top level of the http.conf file. This setup allows any domain to use the application. An example of the configuration is:

#[jboss]
JkMount /backoffice-demo/faces* worker2
#[tomcat]
JkMount /backoffice-demo* worker1

Since we are moving to 2.2, we decide to move to mod_proxy_ajp. However, the rewrite rules seem to have to be in a VirtualHost block in order to work. If we have them at the top level (not in a VirtualHost) block, they are never executed. Is there a way to have a set of rewrite rules apply to ALL requests regardless of the requested host domain?

An example of the rewrite rule is (just in case it makes a difference):

#[jboss]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /backoffice-demo/faces(.*)
RewriteRule ^/(.*) ajp://localhost:9009/$1 [P]

#[tomcat]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /backoffice-local(.*)
RewriteRule ^/(.*) ajp://localhost:8009/$1 [P]

These work great if there are not any VirtualHosts or if they are in a VirtualHost. However, we want any domain that this server handles to be able to use these rewrites.

TIA,
Chris....