Re: [users@httpd] Help: Question on upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2

On Monday 25 September 2006 22:30, Bob McCormick wrote:

> Have read the Upgrade docs, and understand the new naming issues that
> are represented there.  However one thing that I've not been able to
> find is whether will overwrite the existing 2.0 installation.

If you give it the same path, it'll install to the same place.  That'll
leave your modules, and probably other things, in a mess.

> I don't really care if it does since I've determined going forward is
> a good thing, but if I install from source, I see that everything is
> installed into a single directory such as /usr/local/apache2.

By default, yes.
> My
> current installation of Apache is running on Core2 and I see that the
> httpd program is located in /usr/sbin/ - so I'm confused as to what
> is best here.

OK, that's easy.  Install to /usr/local/apache2, get the new apache
fully configured, then switch the public-facing server.

> So, I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Should I simply install the new version into a new directory such
> as /usr/local/apache2 (this is used as the example path in the
> INSTALL doc)

Yep.

> or is there some way that I should simply install
> everything directly over the existing 2.0 install.  (I'm not even
> sure if this possible - is it?)

You can do that when upgrading 2.2.3 to 2.2.x for future x, but
not for 2.0 -> 2.2 or 2.2 -> 2.4.

> 2. If I go the /usr/local/apache2 route, I'm assuming that I should
> then either copy or symlink the httpd.conf file into /etc/httpd - is
> this a correct assumption??

/etc/httpd comes from your distro packages.  Once the new apache
is fully working and tested, just uninstall the old distro package, and
link apachectl to your startup script.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674