[users@httpd] Rewrite rules??

Greeting all,

I’m sure this has been done plenty of times before, so I’m hoping this will be an easy problem for people here to help me with.

Here’s my situation: I’m currently using Apache web server 2.2 and Tomcat 5.5. I have 3 applications that I need to migrate onto Tomcat. Just the one installation of Apache web server and Tomcat will be used to service all 3 web applications. Virtual domains have been set up in the Apache web server for the 3 apps and mod proxy is being used to forward the various request to the correct application containers in Tomcat. In order to display each of the the web apps the urls for each must look something like www.abc-company.com/abc. Tomcat keys off the “/abc” and knows to hand off the request to the “abc” application.

The client *does not* want to see the extra “/abc” after each request for their domain, so we are attempting to use rewrite rules in Apache web server to tack on the extra identifier (ie “/abc”) after each based on the domain the user is trying to access, then we are attempting to remove the identifier before the request goes back out. The identifier may need to be inserted into the requested url (ie www.abc-company.com/product/search/index.jsp would need to become www.abc-company.com/abc/product/search/index.jsp) and it would need to be removed in the same way except reversed on the response.

How can I accomplish this? What is the best way to do this, and are there any examples of how to handle this issue?

Thanks,

Darren