Re: [users@httpd] Use of content negotiation with application/xhtml+xml

On 9/11/06, Nick Urbanik <nicku@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. From
   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html#naming I
   expected that I would be able to ask for http://nicku.org/index and
   get the negotiated content, and that I would not have to ask for
   http://nicku.org/index.var

   Is this understanding correct?

No.   That section applies to MultiViews, while you are using
typemaps.  It is probably possible to combine MultiViews and typemaps,
but I wouldn't recommend it because the interactions could be
complicated.  Rather, I'd suggesting renaming index.var to just index
and using ForceType/DefaultType or something like that to mark it as a
typemap.

4. Could there be any interaction between using SSI and content
   negotiation together?

Yes, but you are probably safe using typemaps.  With MultiViews, you
need to make sure that the files are marked with their final
content-type, etc, before they are processed with SSI.

5. If I want the entire web site to use content negotion, do I need to
   create a corresponding type-map file foo.var for each
   foo.shtml/foo.sxhtml and foo.html/foo.xhtml pair? (I have written a
   little Perl program to do that at
   http://nicku.org/software/gen-type-map)

Yes.  There are other, more-complicated alternatives, of course.
(mod_rewrite is one possibility)

Joshua.