Re: [users@httpd] alias directive

On 9/9/06, chipmonkeys <chipmonkeys@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Apache on my PC, so I
can learn to use PHP and MySQL.

I've entered http://localhost/  in my browser and get the "It works".

In testing the alias directive I've included in the config file, the browser
opens a page with "You are not authorized to view this page. You might not
have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you
supplied....HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden".

An error log advises "client denied by server configuration".

I've read the FAQ section but have no idea what the following means.

"A Permission denied error in the error_log, accompanied by a Forbidden
message to the client usually indicates a problem with your filesystem
permissions, rather than a problem in the Apache HTTP Server configuration
files. Check to make sure that the User and Group running the child
processes has adequate permission to access the files in question. Also
check that the directory and all parent directories are at least searchable
for that user and group (i.e., chmod +x)."

The first sentence in this FAQ statement seems to conflict with the error
log statement.

Exactly.  So this isn't a filesystems permissions problem.  It is a
problem with your apache config.  You probably need something like

<Directory /full/path/to/target/of/alias/>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Joshua.