Re: [users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3

On Sep 9, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Sean Conner wrote:

It was thus said that the Great Tim McIntyre once stated:
Hey all,

I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.

On FreeBSD

./configure  --with-port=8080 --enable-mods-shared=most
make
make install

After doing that I will have apache 2.3 installed and ready to listen
on port 8080 and my 1.2.9 apache will run as always >>completely<<
untouched?  Then I'll be able to muck around with the config to get
everything working just right before swapping the ports for the final
launch?

  It should.  Apache 2.x installs everything by default to
/usr/local/apache2 (unless you state otherwise) and will run from there.

Can anyone give me an "it will, for sure!"?

If I understand correctly I don't even have to use the --prefix
option because I'm going from 1.x to 2.x... correct?

  The --prefix option just tells configure where you want to install the
resulting binaries, libraries and configuration files.

Do I end up with two separate APRs or does the existing one get
rebuilt and continue to work with the 1.2.9 install (assuming the
answer to my first question is yes)?

  I'm not sure if 1.2 even has APR, but the APR built for Apache 2.x
shouldn't interfer with Apache 1.2.

I presume that "--enable-mods-shared=most" will enable all modules,
as DSOs, except the developer ones... correct?

  Not in my experience.  When I did "--enable-mods-stared=all" I still had
to specify a few (mostly the proxy and caching modules) explicitely.  This
was for Apache 2.2.2.  You also want to make sure you enable mod-so else you
won't have a way to load up the dynamically loadable modules.

I think --enable-mods-shared automatically includes mod_so?

Thanks!
Tim

I will then be able to install any 3rd party mods using
apxs...correct?  Or does "--enable-mods-shared=most" include the
third party mods?

  It will probably include only the most commonly used modules that come
with Apache (are there any third party modules that come with Apache?).

  -spc (Was very surprised that "--enable-mods-shared=all" didn't ... )