Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 and MySQL 5.0.24a

On Fri, September 8, 2006 15:11, Ben wrote:
> Rob, Ganesh
>

> I think that Ganesh was confusing perl DBD for apr-DBD.
> We don't use Perl on our systems.

I guess so.. No hard feelings. :-)

> Rob, as you correctly  guessed, I didn't do something different from
> the first build. However I was pretty surprised that it built and worked the
> second time round - my guess is that there were some old apr libraries or
> mysql libraries that were being linked to, or something like that.

The first time; yes, it could have been the case (libmysqlclient_r.so.14 =
MySQL 4.1.11). Second time, I removed all old files from MySQL (ldconfig) and
libaprutil-1.so *is* linked to libmysqlclient_r.so.15 now.

> Because I use a custom directory for the install (in order to
> seperate concerns - /usr/local is far too busy for my liking ) I had to change
> ld.so.conf to include
>
> /opt/httpd/lib
> /opt/httpd/apr/lib
> /opt/httpd/apr-util/lib
>

> (and run ldconfig again, of course)
>

> Are you building APR seperately?  I just gave up on that, and went to
> build it as a part of the overall package.

Yes and it worked when I was using MySQL 4.1.11.
I built apr-1.2.7 and apr-util-1.2.7 and installed them in
/usr/local/apr-1.2.7 and /usr/local/apr-util-1.2.7.
I supplied the apr and apr-util path to Apache configure.

> Having said all that, I didn't get the message "Internal error: DBD:
> Can't connect to mysql", which is generated at line 293 (mod_dbd.c),
> which is pretty meaningless, as it is invoked by a APR_EGENERAL - defined as
> a "Generic Error which can not be put into another spot" (basically, the
> software is saying "I dunno,  some error occured after I called apr_dbd_open"
> ).
>
> There are two points in apr_dbd_open (srclib/apr-util/dbd/apr_dbd.c)
> which generate that error (nothing like ambiguity, eh?) Now the right thing to
> do would be to generate the correct errors, and then report them correctly, so
> the following may help to work out what is going on (it looks like the problem
> isn't vanishing) - I use the httpd errors, which i am sure will piss the apr
> dev off  - so it needs apr- izing to be done properly..

I'm not a C programmer but going to take a look in the code and see what I can
put in there to get different errors...

[skipped some code and config]

> I don't know if it is worth it to you, but it may help to narrow the
> issue down a bit. If you have success, or failure with revised errors as
> above, let me know ...

As I said, I will look into it, change according and see what happens.
However, I'm going to try to use the separate apr-[util-]1.2.7 because that's
what I was using before. I'll post whatever comes up.

Thanks so far!

Grts,
Rob