Re: [users@httpd] Using .htaccess in a front-end/back-end setup

On 9/4/06, Bill Moseley <moseley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Basically, I'm wonder when in the request cycle Apache deals with
.htaccess.  I guess it would have to be after mod_rewrite because
mod_rewrite can, well, rewrite the request.

mod_rewrite acts in two different phases of processing depending on
where in the config the directives are placed.  For RewriteRules in
the main server of virtual host context, the rewriting happens early.
For RewriteRules in <Directory> containers or .htaccess files, it
happens later.  So one thing you could try is putting your directives
in a <Directory> container (with appropriate modifications).  I
haven't tried it, but it may work.

In general, I think you should tell your clients that it isn't
possible to use .htaccess in those cases.  Even if you can get it to
work, it would be a fragile config since you are having apache act at
the file-system level to restrict requests that aren't served by
apache out of the filesystem.

Joshua.