[users@httpd] RE: case insensitive rewrite rules and nested mapping

Hi,

I need a case insensitive url rewrite such as

      http://proxyhost/NeWs

would be rewritten to:

      http://realserver/some/other/url

here, "/NeWs" first mapped to all upper case "NEWS" and then used to lookup another map in which I have a line like this:

#

# my text map file

NEWS  /some/other/url

My first thought was to use the internal mapper "toupper" together with my own mapper so the rules would look like the following:

RewriteMap somemap txt:somemap.map

RewriteMap toupper int:toupper

RewriteRule ^/(NEWS)$ http://realserver/${somemap:${toupper:$1}}  [NC,R,L]

This nested mapping did not seem to work with mod_rewrite!

So I tried the next:

RewriteMap somemap txt:somemap.map

RewriteMap toupper int:toupper

RewriteRule ^/(NEWS)$ http://%{REQUEST_HOST}/${toupper:$1}  [NC,R,L]

RewriteRule ^/(NEWS)$ http://realserver/${somemap:$1}  [P,L]

This actually worked but I am not happy with it as it forced a redirect and therefore the URL in the user's browser is changed.

Anybody has a better solution that would avoid a redirect?

Many thanks and best regards,

Charles