[users@httpd] suicidal suexec question.

I've been assigned to create a port listener to do some administrative
tasks on some of our local servers.  We have a web console application
that basically writes some data to a file and a cronjob picks it up.
That doesn't seem to be fast enough for what we need.  So it has been
deemed that we need to write an application that will listened for
requests from our apache pages.  Many these tasks need to be executed as
root.

Our ideas include running ssh on the local loopback with pub/priv key.
This can have some drawbacks as some commands are chained.  Instead of
writing a special port listener to do this work I was thinking that I
could compile a second copy of apache and run it on a different local
port (ex. 127.0.0.1:9000) and run the apps there under suexec privileges
for root.

I'm really looking for some ideas for the best approach and some
pointers on how to implement it.

Gary Wayne Smith