Re: [users@httpd] SOT: Subversion Connection to Apache Fails Mid-Stream

I just ran a tail -f on the Apache access_log while attempting the
commit and it's definitely logging requests.  A lot of them.  And then
it just stops.  The server reports no error (at least not in the logs
I've checked), but the client does.  Could something else be
terminating the connection?

On 8/21/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/21/06, Rob Wilkerson <r.d.wilkerson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll take a look at the forensics and the packet trace.  The server is
> on a LAN - I don't believe there are any proxies involved, but I'm not
> the guy who has to put together the servers.  I'm just the guy that
> has to communicate with them.  I'll ask about that.  A tracert,
> though, shows no hops between the client and the server.
>
> Subversion provides atomic commits so, although I see no evidence on
> the server side, I assume that's because the commit process failed so
> Subversion actually committed nothing.  And, to be honest, I can't be
> completely sure the commit fails mid-stream, but I See a lot of
> generated output indicating the process is doing what it's supposed to
> (adding and removing files from the repository) and then the failure
> message.  That's what leads me to think it's a mid-stream failure.  If
> someone who knows more than I do (should be a lot of those people
> about) can offer another suggestion, I'm all ears.

Apache logs every request it receives.  So regardless of whether the
commit transaction fails or not, there should be stuff in the apache
access_log.  If there is not, it indicates that either apache didn't
receive the request at all, or that the apache process serving the
request crashed before it could do the logging.  In the latter case,
you would usually see a segmentation fault signalled in the error log.

Joshua.

Rob Wilkerson