From: "Shawn Beard" <SBeard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:04:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] troubleshooting apache performance

> It might be worth doing a traceroute also.  See how may hops it takes
> get there and how long those hops take.  Could also be a routing issue.

I'm not familiar with traceroute, so I googled it. I came up with a tool
at network-tools.com called traceroute. I tried it about 10 times with 3
different domains hosted on the same machine I was getting the same 10
hops taking 73 or 74 miliseconds every time. (one time took 81) if this
gives any information or if I misunderstood, please let me know.

> Shawn Beard
> Web Administrator, MCSE, MCSA, MCP
> Iowa Foundation for Medical Care
> Information Systems
> sbeard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Office: 515-440-8581

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:48:45AM -0600, Ray wrote:
> > The behaviour I am seeing is that sometimes page requests are
> normal,
> > sometimes pages load slow, and sometimes they don't load at all and
> the
> > user gets a 'cannot find server' error message, and all occur in no
> > particular order within a short period of time on the same user
> machine.
>
> Same machine?  I was going to suggest looking at DNS issues.

yes, the same server and the same (seperate) client machine.
server is attached to the local telco's network, and in the case of my
machine, client is attached to local cable company.

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley@xxxxxxxx

I don't know if it proves anything but here's the machine specs:
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
1 GB Ram (Dual Channel, I believe)
2 * 120 GB harddrive (I believe SATA, Raid 1)
MS Win 2003
Apache 2.0.55
modssl 2.0.55
openssl 0.9.8a