RE: [users@httpd] Appropiate Configuration of No. of Startup and Standby Servers

Hello Joshua,

that was what I was suspecting (looking over the scoreboard
stats),
that the No. of MinSpareServers was way too high.
So the error message fooled me a little.

I have set it, as you suggested down to 10.

So what about the StartServers?
Don't you think 40 isn't a bit too high as well?
I mean, it does only relate to the servers that are spawned right
at the start of the webserver, does it?

You say that an occassional "server seems busy" is nothing to
worry about.
Actually, I wasn't worried, but clients did complain about
getting,
"Internal Server Errors" (which usually means that a CGI program
finished ungracefully).
The CGIs I have to host are third party code that I am required
to have executed.
I suspect that the webserver couldn't spawn these CGI forks when
the messages appeared.

Joshua
> Slive
> Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:43 PM
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Appropiate Configuration of No. of
Startup
> and Standby Servers
>

> On 8/17/06, Ralph.Grothe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <Ralph.Grothe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > [Thu Aug 17 09:13:36 2006] [info] server seems busy, (you may
> > need to increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers),
spawning
> > 8 children, there are 36 idle, and 71 total children
> >

> > I already increased MaxClients, StartServers,
Min|MaxSpareServers
> > and thought they were high enough.
> >
> > # sed -n '/^<IfModule prefork/,/^<\/IfModule/p'
> > $SERVERROOT/conf/httpd.conf
> > <IfModule prefork.c>
> > StartServers      40
> > MinSpareServers   40
> > MaxSpareServers   80
> > ServerLimit      512
> > MaxClients       512
> > MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
> > </IfModule>
>
> > I have read the explanations to the above mentioned
httpd.conf
> > directives
> > from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefork.html
several
> > times.
> > But to be honest, the more I read them the more contradicting
> > they seem to me.
> > I ask, why can't the master httpd spawn enough children fast
> > enough
> > when it always has according to the error_log entries well
over
> > 30 idle servers,
> > and the MinSpareServer was configured to such a high value as
40?
> > Why are the error_log entries suggesting I even need to raise
> > them?
> > I would assume that in such a case it had to spawn even more
> > children to arrive at
> > the lower MinSpareServers, being even more occupied with the
task
> > to service pending
> > connect requests.
> > Any suggestion as how to tune the prefork params would be
highly
> > appreciated.
>
> Your central problem is that you have MinSpareServers set way
too
> high.  You are thus forcing apache to continually maintain a
huge pool
> of idle servers.  In your case I would recommend a
MinSpareServers of
> 10 or less.
>
> (Perhaps the error message is a little misleading in this case,
since
> you actually need to lower a value rather than raise it.  It is
not
> reporting a problem answering requests, but rather a problem
> maintaining the arbitrarily high number of idle children that
you have
> targetted.)
>
> Also note, however, that an occasional "server seems busy"
message in
> your logs is nothing to worry about.  You should only be
concerned if
> you see these very frequently, or if you notice poor
performance.