[users@httpd] turn off error_log formatting under standard cgi handler?

Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Debian) mod_apreq2-20051231/2.5.7 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8

Using the regular cgi handler (no mod_perl fancy stuff), my
warning messages have this format:

[Fri Aug 11 13:25:03 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ---, referer: http://localhost/the_http_referer_page.html

The problem is that the referer is listed after EVERY line of STDERR output.
If I warn a multi-line output (for example, a data structure dump), then
every line of that warning gets the referer tagged on.

    warn qq{
        This
        is
        test
        of
        the
        emergency
        broadcast
        system.
    };

[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] , referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         This, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         is, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         a, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         test, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         of, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         the, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         emergency, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         broadcast, referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]         system., referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi
[Fri Aug 11 15:14:46 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]      at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi line 57., referer: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycart.cgi

It makes warnings and debugging statements immensely difficult to read.

Is there some way to turn it off?  It's really annoying.
I'm used to mod_perl, which does not do this.

This doesn't happen when I run the script under a mod_perl2 handler
like ModPerl::Registry or anything else.  In that case, warnings
print normally to the error log without any additional information.

My conf file section:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

Ideally, I would like to turn off the first part of each line too,
with the date, warning level and client IP.

Any clues how I can change this behavior?  Do I have to write my
own handler to pipe the ErrorLog output to?

Mark