Re: [users@httpd] XML turned off

>>> Servers don't display documents, they simply send them to the browser.
>>>
>>> Are you talking about the server transforming the document into html,
>>> or are you talking about the raw xml simply not being displayed in the
>>> browser?  If the latter, you should look at the content-type getting
>>> sent.  See the AddType directive.
>>>
>>> Joshua.
>>
>> The raw XML is not being displayed in the browser.
>> Check out these two links:
>>
>> http://mail.knifecenter.com/lookupdetail.xml
>> http://www.knifecenter.com/lookupdetail.xml
>>
>> They are the exact same file. Yet, the second one does not show up at all in
>> my browser.
>
> Here is exactly what your server sends:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:56:55 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
>
> This tells me a few things:
> 1. You are using an ancient version of apache and should upgrade.

I don't maintain that server, but I'll let the host know about this.

> 2. You have some very specific cache-control stuff being sent, which
> implies a non-standard configuration.  Is this file really being
> served directly from the filesystem, or is there some dynamic stuff
> involved?

This particular file is being served directly. The code you see in the
source code is exactly what is written. There are no scripts on that page.
As far as the cache-control stuff, I'll ask my provider about that as well.

> 3. The Content-Length is 1, which means that apache believes the file
> contains only one byte.  Are you sure the file really contains what
> you think it does?

Yes. They are exactly the same files.

> Is there anything interesting in the access and error logs?  Have you
> tried "EnableSendfile Off / EnableMMAP off"?

I'll ask the provider to look at the logs.

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep everyone updated.